For many like me, fall is the favorite season in Minnesota – enjoying the colors, cooler temps and activities in and around Crystal.
This month, we saw park design ideas for future improvements. Exciting news for MAC Nature Center (60th & Regent Ave): Three Rivers Park District is partnering with Crystal to improve the trails and make the area more usable. An open house was held on September 13 in Brooklyn Center, and here’s a link to see the plans. Work is expected to be done over the winter.
A shout out to Forest neighborhood resident Jan Jorgens, helping keep Memory Lane Pond beautiful. She and other neighbors gathered September 16 to clean up trash. Jan wrote on NextDoor.com, “The group called Friends Fond of the Pond officially meets twice a year to look for litter. You are welcome to join them next spring. Watch for announcements!”
(Photo from Jan Jorgens via NextDoor.com)
Residents gathered at Welcome Park for the Park/Rec Commission neighborhood meeting to discuss future plans for that area, including ballpark improvements, a new shelter/restroom building and other features. Welcome Park will be the site for the Crystal Frolics in 2019 when Becker Park is closed for a big storm water project. See current plan concepts here.
Speaking of commissions, there are several openings on city commissions, including Planning, Community Outreach Task Force, and Environmental Quality. These volunteer positions require just a few hours a month, and it’s a chance for you to have a voice in advising the city. Application deadlines are due Oct. 30 and interviews begin in November. See all open positions here.
Fall is also a colorful time as Council meets to plan the 2018 budget! On September 14, we discussed and voted on utility fees. City staff reviewed the fee schedule over the last few years, getting rid of some while restructuring other fees to simplify it. Water, sewer and storm drainage will see increases to help cover the costs of maintaining and repairs. For example, the residential sewer fee per quarter will go from $55.15 to $61.22 beginning in January. There will be no increases to your recycling and street light fees next year.
Events & Updates:
- The Diaper Drive ends Sept. 30 — drop off diapers, wipes or donations to the Community Center, benefiting Helping Us Grow.
- The Fall Coat Drive is on now until Sept. 29. Donate new or gently used coats at the Community Center. Hosted by American Mortgage & Equity Consultants, ReMax Results & State Farm Insurance.
- The 3rd Annual Run for Rocco fundraiser is on Saturday, Sept. 30 at Bassett Creek Park; 8:30a.m. Kids Race; 9 a.m. Run/ Walk. Register now
- Kids Garage Sale is also on September 30: 8:20 am until noon at the Crystal Community Center
- The next Council Meeting is Tuesday, Oct. 3, 7:00pm at City Hall. A work session will be held at 6:30 and after the council meeting in Conference Room A.
- See all recreation offerings in the Fall Recreation brochure — view it online.