We started off the month with Night to Unite parties and events. About 75 parties were hosted around Crystal, along with the Police station open house on August 1. I rode along with Sgt. Tourville to visit 7 parties in Ward 1. We spoke with residents who’ve lived here ranging from a few months to 50+ years, and all commented on how much they love living here!
West Metro Fire organized our annual Wet & Wild Water Day at Valley Place Park on August 4, adding Three Rivers Park table to promote the new trail connecting New Hope to Crystal. The new Kona Ice treat truck was very popular!
On August 8, Parks & Recreation hosted an open house to update residents to review their 20 year Master Parks Plan. Several updated concept ideas were presented, based on feedback from residents and other park users. You can see the updates, timeline, concepts and weigh in here.
The Crystal Lions Corn Feed was another big success, paired again this year the Antique Car Run. Added this year was Art in The Park, featuring local artists and musicians and a Hot Rod/Classic Car meet. Read highlights at the Sun Post.
Along with these events, the Council and city staff began meeting to discuss our 2018 budget. You can find information here.
At our August 15 council meeting, three law enforcement staff members were recognized: Nathan Betters was promoted to Captain, Hennepin County 911 Operator Ashley Jacobson given the Chief Award for talking a homicide suspect into surrendering peacefully; and Officer Robles named MADD’s 2016 Rookie of the Year.
Events & Updates:
- Thursday, Aug. 24: Three Rivers Bassett Creek Regional Trail Grand Opening event is at 3 p.m. at Valley Place Park.
- Monday, Aug. 28: Beacon Academy will hold a ribbon cutting for their new facility at 3415 Louisiana Ave. N.
- Sat., August 26: Full Proof Ministry is hosting a Community Civic Day from 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at 4835 West Broadway.
- Tuesday, Sept. 5: Next city council meeting is 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
- Register now for the 3rd Annual Run for Rocco Fundraiser is on Saturday, Sept. 30 at Bassett Creek Park; 8:30a.m. Kids Race; 9 a.m. Run/ Walk.
- A few city commissions have openings, including Environmental Quality and Parks/Rec. If you’re interested, get details here.
- The Fall Recreation brochure is out! Look for your copy in the mail or view it online.